If you have been charged with offences related to possession or distribution of indecent images of a child, get in touch with our team right away. These types of offences can often result in far-reaching and complicated criminal investigations, significant penalties, and substantial custodial sentences for those involved.
The sooner you get in touch with our Sexual Offence Lawyers, the greater opportunity we have to protect your reputation and your liberty. Get in touch with our team by completing our online enquiry form with brief details about your circumstances and we will get back to you right away.
What is an Indecent Image?
The law makes it a criminal offence to take, distribute, publish or possess indecent images of children under the age of 18 years old. In Scotland, the law concerning indecent images applies to:
- Photographs either in print or digital format
- Film, including any video recording
- Negatives of a photograph
- Pseudo-photographs (an image where the actual image is computer-generated but appears to be a photograph)
- Data stored on a disc or electronically that is capable of being converted into a photograph or pseudo-photograph
If you are facing an investigation, or you have concerns that you may be charged with an offence relating to indecent images of children, speak with a member of our sexual offence team as soon as you can. We are here to support and guide you through the entire process.
Defending an Indecent Image Offence
There are several defences available to indecent images offences in Scotland. Where you have been charged with such an offence, you may be able to defend yourself by proving one of the following:
- that you had a legitimate reason for having the photograph or pseudo-photograph in your possession;
- that you had not seen the photograph or pseudo-photograph and you did not know, nor had any reason to suspect, that it was an indecent image; or
- that the photograph or pseudo-photograph was sent to you without you asking, or anyone asking on your behalf, and that you did not keep the image in your possession for an unreasonable amount of time.
There is also a defence for images of those aged 16 and 17, who have taken such images for their own personal use within the context of an established relationship.
The increased accessibility of indecent images of children online means that Police Scotland, as well as national and international crime agencies, now pay even greater attention to such incidences. From the moment you instruct us, our team will start building a strong defence for your case and meticulously examine all of the evidence brought against you. We will work tirelessly to get you the best possible outcome, maintaining constant communication throughout so you know what is happening with your case from beginning to end.
Contact Our Indecent Images Defence Lawyers in Paisley & Greenock
Our dedicated Criminal Defence Lawyers based in Paisley and Greenock have more than 100 years of experience defending clients across a broad range of criminal matters in Scotland, including indecent images offences. We routinely provide legal assistance and support to clients in Glasgow, Greenock, Port Glasgow, Kilmacolm, Gourock, Inverclyde, Renfrewshire, Barrhead, Newton Mearns and East Renfrewshire. We are here to help and can attend any police station and court in Scotland.
Contact us today for free, initial legal advice 24 hours per day, seven days per week. To speak with someone at our Paisley office, call us on 01418896458 or for our Greenock office on 01475888286. Alternatively, you can request a callback by filling in our online form.